Richard J. Cayo
Phone: (414) 271-3400
Fax: (414) 271-3841
Areas of Practice:
- 95% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
- Wisconsin, 1976
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Wisconsin, 1976
- U.S. District Court Western District of Wisconsin, 1976
Richard previously participated in thousands of investigations by the agency appointed by the Wisconsin Supreme Court to prosecute ethics charges against lawyers. He now serves as a consultant and expert witness in matters relating to lawyers’ professional responsibility and ethics. For his work in this field, Richard was designated a “Wisconsin Super Lawyer” in a poll of Wisconsin Attorneys.
He had represented other licensed professionals in the past such as doctors, pharmacists, realtors, accountants, and the like before Wisconsin licensing boards, and handled claims on behalf of investors against brokers and others in the securities industry. Richard is a graduate of the University of Wisconsin Law School. He served as Deputy Administrator for the Wisconsin Supreme Court’s Board of Attorneys Professional Responsibility from 1978 to 1983.
Richard also served on the State Bar of Wisconsin Board of Governors, The Milwaukee Bar Association Board of Directors, and the Verdict Magazine Editorial Board. He has been a frequent author and speaker on topics related to legal ethics.
Past Employment Positions:
- Wisconsin Supreme Court’s Board of Attorneys Professional Responsibility, Deputy Administrator, 1978 – 1983
- American Title Insurance Co.
- Argonaut Insurance Co.
- Intercontinental Insurance Managers, Incorporated
- Classes/Seminars Taught:
- Lecturer, Lawyer’s Professional Responsibility
- University of Wisconsin, Madison, Wisconsin, 1976
- J.D., Doctor of Jurisprudence
- University of Wisconsin, Madison, Wisconsin, 1973
- B.A., Bachelor of Arts
Honors and Awards:
- “Wisconsin Super Lawyer”
- MKE Lifestyle “Best Lawyer” 2020 Edition
- Professional Malpractice Law – Defendants
- Workers Comp – Claimants
- Selected by peers for inclusion in the 27th Edition of The Best Lawyers in America©, 2020
- Tips on Errors Wisconsin Bar Bulletin, December, 1986
Professional Associations and Memberships:
- State Bar of Wisconsin
- Wisconsin Supreme Court
- State Bar’s Board of Governors, Member
- Milwaukee Bar Association, Board of Directors, Member
- National Organization of Bar Counsel, Member
- Association of Professional Responsibility Lawyers, Member
- Wisconsin Association of Trial Lawyers, Member